The Twitter CRAZE!
Twitter is a very POPULAR social media network. It’s fun! It’s free. It’s fairly simple and you can have conversations with people all over the world.
If you haven’t ventured into the world of twitter, you should sign up and try it. Sign up for Twitter here.
I have to admit that I could not wrap my head around Twitter, at first. Then I just jumped in. I am totally a “Tweeter” now. I love it. It’s fun. And you can get immediate reaction from your audience.
If you own a business, you should definitely be active on Twitter. Why, you ask? Because there is approximately 1 billion registered users on Twitter and 255 million monthly active users according to a recent study done by Craig Smith, DMR Publisher.
This all means that your audience is HUGE! So jump and start marketing on Twitter. Oh, and did I mention it’s FREE ADVERTISEMENT.
Here are 10 Fabulous Twitter Tips and Tricks that you should keep in mind. Read on…..
#1. Don’t be afraid of Twitter
If you have never used Twitter before, don’t be afraid to dive in. If you know how to set up a Facebook page, setting up a Twitter page is just about the same. Learn how to set up a Twitter account here.
#2. What the Heck is a Tweet?
Tweets are your statement or comment to the public. It is just like when you comment or post on Facebook or anywhere else. But, Twitter Tweets are short.
You can only use 140 characters. It is recommended to only use 125 or less characters. Doing this allows the extra room for your tweet to be retweeted or for a comment to be made.
#3. Attaching links or Images
In addition, to the above statement about character limitations, it is also important to remember that when you attach a link or an image in your tweet that they do use up characters.
#4. Use a URL Shortener
You can use a URL shortener like bitly Url Shortener to shorten your URLs of links that you post. This makes those Mississippi long URLs shorter and doesn’t waste your precious 140 characters.
#5. Project feelings & emotions
Project feelings & Emotions in your Tweets. Everyone reacts to feelings and emotions. This is always relatable. You will be amazed out how many people will retweet or favorite tweets that have these 2 things.
#6. Knowledge is POWER
People want to learn on social media. Knowledge is Power! Share things you discover that they need to know. If you are a business tweet tips about how your product or service can help them solve a problem. This is a superb “selling technique”.
#7. Watch How You Reply Back to a Tweet
The word is out about this next tip. When you reply back to a tweet, DO NOT begin your Tweet replies with the @ sign. The only person who will see the tweet is that person. Instead, begin your reply tweet with a period and it will be seen as an individual tweet and be seen by all of your followers.
#8. Thank Each New Follower & Include a General Question
A simple “Thank you” has always gone a long way! Thank each new follower. This is a huge opportunity to start a conversation or relationship.
Think of a general question and ask it. Examples would be: What do you do for a living? Your profile says you are a school teacher, do you find that rewarding? What are your daily challenges? What do you like to see on Twitter? These are conversation starters. This provokes them to tweet something back. Keep the conversation going. Inch your way in. If you see an opening to discuss your product or service, get in that opening! Make sure you talk about how your product or service can help them.
#9. It’s okay to sell, but do not OVER SELL
The same rule about not over selling to your audience applies on Twitter. Use the 80% – 20% rule that you should be using on the other social media platforms. 80% personal and 20% business. Who wants to be sold to constantly?
#10. Upload fantastic images
Twitter isn’t all about just “tweets” anymore. It’s also about images. Studies have shown that tweets that have an image gets retweeted more! So, just upload a great image with your tweet. Read this good article with tips on creating images: Why You Should Use Images on Twitter and 3 Tips to Doing it Right
#11. Give them a peek at who you are
Share something about you! Give them a peek. People love that kind of stuff. Share something that you saw that day that was interesting. Share something you did that day that was fun. Share a statement (a positive or funny one) that will entertain them. People want to relate to other people. Be relatable.
Just dive in! These Twitter tips and tricks should give you a really great direction to head in. Best of luck to you. You can do it. Be visible on a HUGE social network and have fun with it.
What is your biggest challenge with Twitter?
Do you need help improving your businesses’ social media presence? Click here!